It’s the day after Christmas and we are slowly inching towards the end of 2013. Thank God! 2013 was a craptastic year for me. I’m not superstitious, but I am one of those people who favors even years over odd years. For example, my daughter was born in 2006. I was born in 19 (cough, cough) 72. I know there have been oodles of other things that have happened during even years to support my theory, but I can’t think of them. This year totally sucked for me and I can’t wait to get rid of it.
Quick side note….way to go Conservatives on winning that War on Christmas. I mean it was Christmas all day yesterday. My gut feeling is that you will win the war on Christmas every year, but we will have to wait and see what next year brings.
Back to my list..here is my list of the Best and Worst of 2013 (I’m only posting 10 instead of an unlucky 13)
10. The government shutdown…that was the wackiest display of politics I’ve seen in a long, long time. Let’s shut the government down to prove a point about a bill that was already funded and moving forward. I may not agree with conservative politics, but I almost always get where they are coming from. This one takes the cake for one of the biggest bone head move from Washington this year.
9. Not far behind the shut down is the Obamacare roll out. I am one of the biggest supporters of Obamacare, but even I had problems defending the roll out. You really didn’t know that when you rolled this bad boy out that million of people would hit the website and crash it? Really?
8. The blinged out crosses on E-V-E-R-Y-T-H-I-N-G. Walk into any retailer right now and it looks like a Roman cathedral threw up in there. Don’t get me wrong, I love bling, but I’m afraid to buy clothing right now for fear that I am going to become a walking Christian billboard. Is it a cross or just a pattern? Sometimes it’s hard to even tell. We get it ladies..you are Christian. What ever happened to a nice, cross necklace? Nothing says being happy with what God gave ya like a blinged out cross shirt covering two fake boobs.
7. Gay marriage – two thumbs up for gay marriage this year. Nothing, I repeat, nothing was better than the outrage over Phil Robertson from Duck Dynasty happening AT THE SAME TIME that Utah was passing gay marriage. Be outraged all you want conservatives, that train has left the station. You may not like it, but you will definitely have to get used to it.
6. Mass shootings – there are too many to list here. Here is what I realized…we are getting mass shooting fatigue. I think our new (and horribly sad) threshold is now 2 plus casualties. There were some shootings that happened that only made my local news after weather, sports and cute animal stories. It was like there weren’t enough casualties. That leads me to #5….
5. The pro-gun lobby. As much as I HATE this movement, you guys are winning this one. With all the mass shootings it seems like there are MORE guns. This movement has perfectly captured the element of fear in most Americans and has even grannies running to the stores to arm themselves.
4. Anthony Weiner’s weiner….New York politics doesn’t impact me one bit, but I was fascinated by Anthony Weiner. This story had such a Netflixesque, double whammy of sex and politics. It was the best case of the ego that was totally absent from reality. Have we finally heard I mean seen the last from him???
3. Miley’s twerking. Loved this story. Miley twerks and people who grew up with Madonna are outraged.
2. Kim and Kanye’s baby. The most self-absorbed woman had a child. We even got to see what the conception must have been like in Kanye’s terrible video. Notice she hasn’t been seen smiling in a pic ever since the birth? Or has it been ever since she went blonde? I can’t remember…
1. The Boston bombings. Such a horrible story and it continues to remind America that terrorism no longer happens “over there.”
Thanks for reading. I wish everyone a happy and healthy New Year!