Dear Kansas Supreme Court,
Well, one phrase sums up today’s activity in the Kansas Senate – paybacks are a bitch.
In the ping-pong game of legislative vs. judicial branch, today was the Senate’s turn. You had to know this was coming after you sent them a stinging ruling saying their funding of Kansas schools was at an unconstitutionally low level.
You could almost feel their childlike excitement as the Senate expanded all the ways they could impeach you with SB 439.
SB 439 would expand the grounds for impeachment of a Supreme Court Justice and establish grounds upon which a district court judge could be disciplined, suspended, and removed for cause to include the following:
1. Commission of treason;
2. Commission of bribery;
3. Commission of other indictable criminal offenses;
4. Commission of a breach of the public trust;
5. Commission of a breach of judicial ethics;
6. Failure to perform adequately the duties of office;
7. Attempting to subvert fundamental laws and introduce arbitrary power;
8. Attempting to usurp the power of the Legislative or Executive Branch of government;
9. Exhibiting discourteous conduct toward litigants, jurors, witnesses, lawyers or others with whom the justice or judge deals in an official capacity;
10. Exhibiting wanton or reckless judicial conduct;
11. Exhibiting personal misbehavior or misconduct;
12. Failure to properly supervise, administer, or discipline judicial personnel; and
13. Other actions, which in accordance with Section 28 of Article 2 of the Kansas Constitution may constitute grounds for impeachment, or which in accordance with Section 15 or Article 3 of the Kansas Constitution, may constitute grounds for discipline, suspension, or removal for cause.
Kuddos to the Senate for their insane vagueness on #9 and #11. I believe I’m exhibiting personal misbehavior just writing this blog. Discourteous conduct? Glad I’m not a Supreme Court justice. My heavy sighs and exaggerated eye rolls would have me thrown off before you could say Judge Judy.
The only thing I can say is expand your impeachable offenses all they want, they have yet to constitutionally fund our schools. Ball is in your court KS Senate.
Yours for discourteous conduct in the form of eye rolls,